1.27.2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley


I just found out that President Gordon B. Hinckley, the prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, passed away at his home a few hours ago. He passed away today, Jan 27th at around 7:00 at the age of 97 years old. I have to say that upon hearing the news, initially I was very, very sad. What an incredible, selfless, warm, funny and righteous man we have had the privilege of calling our prophet for nearly 13 years. I cannot imagine a General Conference without his presence, humor and spirit. Who can forget him having a little fun by "knighting" Elder Henry B. Eyring with his cane last General Conference. What a wonderful man!

As I have had a little time to continue reflecting on President Hinckley's passing, my sadness has given way a little to gratitude for such an incredible man and his life of service that he has given to others. He gave everything he had and now his work here on earth is done and he will be reunited with his adorable, sweet wife. Millions and millions of people are better, including myself, because of him, his testimony and his legacy. This occasion reminds me of a this quote I've heard:

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." -- Kahlil Gibran.

It truly has been a delight to have lived and grown under this marvelous man's counsel and leadership. You will be greatly missed, President Hinckley!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I share your sentiments. He will be missed and I loved growing up under his tutelage.

tiffany garfield said...

He was such a great man and a huge part of our lives. Thanks for what you wrote--I loved reading it!